Friends of Montessori (FOM) is Wilson PTO’s sister organization and the founding partner of Wilson Montessori. FOM was established in 1994 by a group of parents, teachers, and community members dedicated to initiating, sponsoring, and promoting Montessori schools within the Houston public school system. A non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, FOM has grown to include three Houston ISD schools serving nearly 800 students annually:
- Wilson Montessori
- Garden Oaks Elementary
- Dodson Montessori
- Los Niños Early Childhood Center
In 2003, FOM petitioned Houston ISD for an all-Montessori campus. In 2005, Houston ISD and FOM entered a partnership, designating Woodrow Wilson Elementary for a public all-Montessori program. Wilson began transitioning to Montessori instruction in the Fall of 2005. It became a full Montessori school in 2008 and was renamed Wilson Montessori; In 2008 it also started its Middle school community with 7th grade, adding the 8th grade in 2009.
FOM WILSON’S SUPPORT FOR WILSON:
Before 2005 FOM raised the money to purchase all the inital Montessori materials for 21 classrooms at Wilson averaging out at $25,000 per classroom.
In 2012/13 and working towards 2013/14 FOM at Wilson supported Wilson Montessori in the following ways:
- Funded Urban Harvest program and instruction serving all our campus students $13,230
- Bought Montessori Materials for a new Lower El classroom (opened 2012/13) $13,500
- Bought Montessori Materials for a new Upper El classroom (opening 2013/14) $8,000
- Supported Middle school students for community building trip $1000
- Supported teacher professional development for Montessori conferences $2000
- Bought Montessori Materials for Upper El Classrooms $1650
- Bought Montessori Materials for Lower El Classrooms $2500
Friends of Montessori on Big Tent. Request an invitation to join. Big Tent is a group where parents from Wilson and Garden Oaks can easily communicate.
Visit Friends of Montessori’s website.
Friends of Montessori on Facebook